2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
juice from 1 orange
1/4 teaspoon masticha
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups flour
For the glaze
1 egg yolk beaten with 2 Tablespoons of water and one teaspoon sugar
1. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add the eggs, and beat until lightly colored.
3. Add all the other ingredients and mix, until you have a soft, but not sticky, dough.
4. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill 30 min.
5. Preheat your oven to 380F
6. Once the dough has rested, dip your fingers in a little flour and pinch off a 1-inch ball of dough. Roll the ball into a 7-inch rope on a lightly floured surface. Fold the rope in half and twist the two strands together to form the cookie. Continue with the remaining dough.
7. Place the shaped cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet, 1 inch apart.
8. Brush each cookie with the glaze mixture.
9. Bake the cookies for 15-20 minutes.