YIELD: serves 5
ACTIVE TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- a pinch of salt
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Metaxa
- In a saucepan, stir together sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt. Place over medium heat, and stir in milk.
- Bring to a boil, and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from heat, and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Add the Metaxa and stir.
- Let cool briefly, and serve warm, or chill in the refrigerator until serving.